[racket] DrRacket never uses more than 1 GB?

From: Greg Hendershott (greghendershott at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jul 13 12:26:15 EDT 2010

> No, you have real talent! (Do people still do ASCII art by hand? I
> thought programs had taken over.)

Oh yes but artisans have mostly moved on to Unicode. Plus this avant
garde splinter group is making QR codes out of Kanji, which in turn
are composed into representations of Campbell's soup cans and
mid-century starlets. It's all very interesting but if it's not on
black velvet I'm like, meh.

Thanks I'll check out the logging.

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 7:12 AM, Noel Welsh <noelwelsh at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 9:55 PM, Greg Hendershott
> <greghendershott at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Yeah I'll keep my day job rather than pursue a career in ASCII art.
>
> No, you have real talent! (Do people still do ASCII art by hand? I
> thought programs had taken over.)
>
>> During which lots of
>> little ~30 msec GCs (according to DrRacket log) alternating with long, 5000
>> msec ones. Fourth phase is the poor DrRacket GUI gets sluggish and then
>> kablooey.
>
> Probably 1st and 2nd generation GC sweeps. But why speculate -- turn
> on logging and see! See S14.5 of the Reference.If you set the logging
> level low enough all sorts of interesting stuff, including GC stats,
> gets printed.
>
> N.

Posted on the users mailing list.