[plt-scheme] Choosing language in PLT Scheme

From: Lee Spector (lspector at hampshire.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 19 18:44:01 EST 2010

As another relative newcomer I'd like to tie this into the recent conversation about teachpacks, since I was and probably still am somewhat confused about the relations between the DrScheme language choice, the #lang line, teachpacks, and require. For what it's worth, where I've ended up is:

1. Always tell DrScheme to use (and tell my students to tell DrScheme to use) the module language.
2. Always use #lang scheme. (almost -- see * below)
3. Add libraries with require.
4. If someone says to use teachpack X then figure out instead how to translate that into an appropriate require form.
5. If someone says to use a different #lang line then figure out instead how to translate that into an appropriate require form.

I understand that there are reasons for other setups, but my students and I are writing code in Scheme (not some other language), we don't want to be limited to a subset of the language, we want the code to run on different machines without relying on application configuration, and we might want to use multiple libraries which, as far as I know (although I'm not sure), can't always be combined into a single #lang line (and you can't have more than one). I would imagine that some others looking for a Scheme environment and finding PLT will have a similar set of requirements.

If I'm wrong about any of the above then I'd love to be corrected. * Actually I think I can't actually always use #lang scheme because I've had to use #lang scheme/load for some projects and I don't think there's a way to get around that with a require form... Is that true? And I'm guessing that there are other #lang lines that can't be turned into a require form, but for some (like gui) that seem just to be alternative ways to include a library (am I right about this?) I think one can use a require form instead.

Anyway, I think it might be nice for the docs to present this approach or at least this set of issues explicitly in one place where newcomers will see it, since the multiple options for including libraries can be confusing. I do know that some of this is already in some places in the docs, but it took me a while to find the pieces that I've found. It would also be nice if any places in the docs that refer to teachpacks or library-related #lang lines provided the equivalent require forms explicitly.

Please take this a constructive (I hope) suggestion -- I'm enjoying PLT very much and getting a lot out of it (as are my students).

 -Lee