[racket] Controlling where help desk, universe canvas open

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 5 08:43:39 EDT 2010

I don't have any good workarounds to offer in the current version.

We're in the process of re-implementing the GUI library. When that's in
place, we should be in a position to improve the second issue, at
least.

For the Firefox issues, though, I'm not aware of a way to tell a web
browser which screen to use.

At Wed, 4 Aug 2010 14:28:25 -0400, Mitchell Wand wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running Racket 5.0 on a Vista box w/ an auxiliary display using "extend
> my desktop onto this display".  The auxiliary display gets plugged into a
> projector, which displays on the big screen.
>
> This is convenient for running Powerpoint presentations (stop sniggering!)
> because the presentation runs on the big screen while my laptop screen shows
> a timer, notes, etc.
>
> It's also useful for doing codewalks because I can run the Racket window on
> the big display and keep other stuff that I don't want folks to see on the
> laptop screen.
>
> This all works fine except for 2 things:
>
> 1.  The first time I right-click on a symbol and select "Search for XXX in
> Help Desk", a new Firefox window opens up, but it's on my small screen, not
> on the extended screen near the racket window.    My workaround is to drag
> the FF window over to the auxiliary screen. After that, the Help Desk window
> usually (but not always) opens up on the auxiliary display as desired.
>  Anybody got any better ideas?
>
> 2. When I open up a new world using big-bang, the new world (labelled
> "World") opens up on the small screen, not  on the auxiliary screen as
> desired.  Is there any way to control where the World opens?  Could it be
> made to open near the position of the interaction window?  (Yes, I know that
> there might not be any interaction window.  That doesn't help me, though.)
>  Any ideas?

Posted on the users mailing list.