[plt-scheme] Scheme for first year CS classes, good or bad?

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 22 10:15:40 EDT 2009

It is one common misunderstanding of people in so-called 'hard'
discipline to think of their problems as 'difficult' and to think of
things in 'soft' disciplines as 'easy.' Nothing can be further from
the truth of course. For example, human communication about technical
matters is one of the most difficult problems I have encountered; it
resists a solution much more than the so-called Full Abstraction
problem, which I solved (in some way) after it was open for 30 years.
In this light, I appreciate the efforts of my colleagues who think
that every communication should be (type and proof) checked but I
suspect that it is grossly misguided.

To sell the curriculum at NEU, I started using the slogan

  Programming is a People Discipline

some four or five years ago, and it worked wonders. It really is what
HtDP is all about and even 'industrialists' understand it and support
it. Well, anyone with a modicum of experience in industry and the
desired to deliver more than s'f.

-- Matthias