[plt-scheme] Music and worlds

From: Yaron Minsky (yminsky at gmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 5 14:33:52 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 8:07 AM, Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu>wrote:

> There is a rather primitive means for doing so, and Emmanuel's version of
> Universe/World does so. (The demo I had included in Edinburgh was his or
> actually one of his students and it ran sounds but it was impossible to hear
> this in a large hall like that.) In general, Eli will at some point in the
> future (for some value of future) provide portable music.
>
> How's Scratch doing with networked games?

I don't think that it has any support yet.  That said, I think sound is in
some ways more important for catching kids (at least my kid's) attention.
Sound (including pre-recorded music) is such a basic part of computer games
these days, that it doesn't quite feel like a game without it.

One of the things that is attractive about scratch is that it does a good
job of integrating multimedia into the environment.  Drscheme does one
critical bit of this, which is supporting images reasonably well.  But
having an easy built-in facility for drawing pictures and recording sounds
is really nice for young kids.

That said, the programming model in scratch is kind of horrible...