[plt-scheme] Re: Poacher turned gamekeeper

From: wooks (wookiz at hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 20 08:52:35 EST 2009

On Nov 10, 1:00 pm, Matthias Felleisen <matth... at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> On Nov 10, 2009, at 2:51 AM, wooks wrote:
>
> > As I said, there will be a 2nd course in OOP and at the moment I am
> > scheduled to take that. The simple answer to objectors is that they'll
> > do Java next term (although I am tempted to do it in Python).
>
> I am about to teach this in PLT for the first time. I'll point to
> lecture notes when I have them. -- Matthias

For the next course, that would be wonderful.

I have been looking at past exam papers for the CS1 course I am
teaching. Many of the questions take the form of snippets of code
which the students are to analyze, explain etc. Officially it's psuedo-
code, but guess what paradigm the psuedo-code is in.

So I am going to have to expose my class to arrays, for and while
loops, etc (I even came across a question that specifically forbade
recursion).

So we will do Scheme as far as it goes, but will need to supplement it
with something else. Clearly Java is a candidate but I'm not sure
about getting involved in all that OO paraphenalia for this 1st
course.

Suggestions? My first instinct was Javascript but I don't know if we
can use it for scripting outside of a browser.

Posted on the users mailing list.