[plt-scheme] Speed up check-syntax

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 9 13:44:19 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 12:36 PM, Sam TH <samth at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 1:22 PM, Robby Findler
> <robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
>> I think what you're asking is if the parallelism we get from the disk
>> and the cpu is already enough to get some speed up here(?). I'm not
>> sure.
>
> Is there some way to run a thread after DrScheme finishes starting?  I
> know that the first 30 seconds after DrScheme comes up I usually spend
> staring at the buffer.

Yeah, I've thought the same thing (and Matthew suggests it as well in
a private message).

I've hesitated before because it could easily confuse users ("why is
my drscheme using all of the cpu after it starts up?") and perhaps
frustrate. I know I'm frustrated with the way that Windows only does
1/2 of the boot time before showing you a screen that looks like
you're logged in, but nothing really works because your cpu is still
going full speed booting up.

As you already said, of course, this isn't the same kind of situation.
Still, my inclination is to try one of our parallelization projects
with this. If those don't pan out, I can try the above.

Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.