[plt-scheme] could we have a git-svn mirror of the repository?

From: Martin DeMello (martindemello at gmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 2 11:46:08 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 5:52 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> Yes, I can definitely do that, provided that:
>
> * Someone can provide me with child-proof instructions on how to do so
>  (my experience with git wasn't too great).

I'll put together a document if someone with more experience doesn't
step up - I've used git-svn to mirror projects locally, but not
autosynced on the svn server itself.

> * It is enough to serve the result over plain http somehow -- so I
>  don't need to install new apache modules or open up new ports or
>  whatever.

That should be fine.

> In fact, if this can be used to provide patches for the plt
> repository, then I'll take back the second bullet and will invest in
> doing whatever's needed to install it -- including whatever hooks are
> needed to keep it in sync with the svn repository, and include the
> links on the svn.plt-scheme.org repository page.

Yes, git-svn's model is you basically pull from svn into git, make
changes locally, then rebase your changes, that is, when svn updates,
it runs an svn update and then attempts to convert your local work
into a set of patches against the new svn head. If it can't, it has
you fix any conflicts that emerge.

> * Out of curiosity (and no flames intended): if this can be used to
>  have people use git and send back patch sets, then does that mean
>  that there's no need for our repository to ever move to a
>  distributed tool?  (The thing is that I looked into it, and none of
>  the systems look nearly as robust as svn does.)

In my personal experience, yes, that works fine. Git can easily
generate patches against the current svn head.

martin

Posted on the users mailing list.