[plt-scheme] Computers considered harmful

From: ebellani at gmail.com (ebellani at gmail.com)
Date: Wed May 6 19:43:57 EDT 2009

> Is it possible for somebody to learn bad programming habits from
> programming spreadsheets?

Yes. It is also possible to learn good habits. It is also possible for one to
learn bad habits from HTDP. It all depends on how the student interprets and
interacts with the material. People program computers, not the inverse.

> It is precisely, because so many gainfully employed at
> "education facilities" that environments like PLT Scheme exist. I am
> rather sure these folks do care about motivating individuals as many
> others on this list.

It is a different dance to criticize the people at a system and the system itself.

>  the problem is that educational facilities often don't give a rat's
>  ass about what could possibly really motivate each individual
>  maximally. (partly for economic/pragmatic reasons, sure, but partly
>  because i think education kinda sucks.)

Educational facilities of today are inherently bad, for all the reason expressed
in [1].

[1] http://ournature.org/~novembre/illich/1970_deschooling.html

Hugs
--
Eduardo Bellani

www.cnxs.com.br

Someone once called me "just a dreamer"
That offended me, the "just" part.
Being a dreamer is hard work.
It really gets hard when you start believing in your dreams.
--Doug Engelbart