[plt-scheme] Computers considered harmful

From: Raoul Duke (raould at gmail.com)
Date: Wed May 6 19:21:27 EDT 2009

>> the problem is that educational facilities often don't give a rat's
>> ass about what could possibly really motivate each individual
>
> Really? I am not a member of the PLT team, but I feel your comment is
> out of line. It is precisely, because so many gainfully employed at
> "education facilities" that environments like PLT Scheme exist. I am
> rather sure these folks do care about motivating individuals as many
> others on this list.

good point.

but, PLT isn't the majority of educational facilities (the "often"
part of what i said). I was talking about the world-wide issue of "why
do we not do a better job of speaking a language that reall works for
our students so we can keep them motivated", which is probably me
getting way too far off topic. srsly, just count up how much Java is
taught vs. how much Scheme (not just PLT, but any Scheme). i don't
like that reality, but i think it is reality.

sincerely.

Posted on the users mailing list.