[plt-scheme] Computers considered harmful

From: Raoul Duke (raould at gmail.com)
Date: Wed May 6 19:05:05 EDT 2009

> That implies a kind of forcing, at least that is what I understand by your
> words.
> I don't think anyone should be forced to interact with a computer on the
> computer's terms, for the same reason that a carpenter doesn't interact with
> the wood only in the wood term, it is absurd.

sounds right to me.

i just mean that if something excites a non-programmer enough to get
them to learn to program (even badly, at first) then that isn't such a
bad thing. could be a game, a spreadsheet, logo, wanting to make a web
page, whatever.

the problem is that educational facilities often don't give a rat's
ass about what could possibly really motivate each individual
maximally. (partly for economic/pragmatic reasons, sure, but partly
because i think education kinda sucks.)

sincerely.

Posted on the users mailing list.