[plt-scheme] Computers considered harmful

From: Raoul Duke (raould at gmail.com)
Date: Wed May 6 18:40:18 EDT 2009

>> The latest instantiation is to say we must teach 'computational
>> thinking' and must stay away from programming as long as possible. Or at
>> least for a semester. So use the computer and canned apps (say
>> spreadsheets
>> and possibly story boards) but don't make them program.
>
> That would be very sad indeed.

i'll be contrary and say that i think having somebody learn
programming through spreadsheets is actually something of a nice idea.
i mean, if the spreadsheet thing really is motivation for them. sorta
like if somebody learns to write code initially because they like
modding video games. sure, their code might suck at first, but heck
whose doesn't?

sincerely.

Posted on the users mailing list.