[plt-scheme] how to create an executable for another system

From: keydana at gmx.de (keydana at gmx.de)
Date: Tue May 5 15:19:38 EDT 2009

Hi Noel, hi Robby,

thanks for your answers - in fact they are totally in accordance with
what Matthias replied yesterday (I'm not sure whether you received his
reply and my follow-up - at least both messages don't appear on Google
where I often read the mails, and now I don't want you to wonder why
I'm not replying anything after asking a question :-)

So thanks again
Sigrid

Am 05.05.2009 um 13:43 schrieb Robby Findler:

> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 6:36 AM, Noel Welsh <noelwelsh at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 5:30 PM, keydana at gmx.de <keydana at gmx.de>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> is it possible to create executables (distributions) for other
>>> systems than
>>> the one you're working on? I wrote  a small utility on my Mac and
>>> want to
>>> give it to someone who's running Linux. Of course he could install
>>> scheme
>>> but it would be nicer if it was not required :-)
>>
>> I don't think so. If you're keen, try installing VirtualBox to
>> quickly
>> get a Linux environment.
>>
>>> Alternatively, is there a way to create jar files to execute on
>>> the JVM? I
>>> see PLT is compilable to bytecode but it seems it uses its own .zo
>>> format
>>> which I suppose is different from Java class files?
>>
>> Yes. The JVM bytecode is quite different to PLT's bytecode.
>
> Although, just to be clear, the bytecode is platform-independent. So
> if  you are willing to distribute your program with the instructions
> "install plt scheme first", then it is not too bad to give you friend
> something that they can run, cross platform. The non cross-platform
> parts are the parts that package up everything in a nice tidy bundle
> that does not require installing plt scheme first.
>
> Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.