[plt-scheme] how to create an executable for another system

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Tue May 5 07:43:02 EDT 2009

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 6:36 AM, Noel Welsh <noelwelsh at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 5:30 PM, keydana at gmx.de <keydana at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> is it possible to create executables (distributions) for other systems than
>> the one you're working on? I wrote  a small utility on my Mac and want to
>> give it to someone who's running Linux. Of course he could install scheme
>> but it would be nicer if it was not required :-)
>
> I don't think so. If you're keen, try installing VirtualBox to quickly
> get a Linux environment.
>
>> Alternatively, is there a way to create jar files to execute on the JVM? I
>> see PLT is compilable to bytecode but it seems it uses its own .zo format
>> which I suppose is different from Java class files?
>
> Yes. The JVM bytecode is quite different to PLT's bytecode.

Although, just to be clear, the bytecode is platform-independent. So
if  you are willing to distribute your program with the instructions
"install plt scheme first", then it is not too bad to give you friend
something that they can run, cross platform. The non cross-platform
parts are the parts that package up everything in a nice tidy bundle
that does not require installing plt scheme first.

Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.