[plt-edu] Re: [plt-scheme] 3-D graphics

From: David Van Horn (dvanhorn at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 26 19:42:26 EDT 2009

Geoffrey Knauth wrote:
> While at Art and Code at CMU March 7-8, I learned CMU uses Processing
> [1] for Intro to CS for non-majors [2], so if PLT develops a demo suite
> rich with OpenGL examples, I think the examples in Processing would make
> a good comparison.  Processing's demos are fast enough I forget it's
> Java underneath, and Processing syntax on the obnoxiousness scale is
> less than Java and greater than Scheme.
>
> Geoff
>
> [1] http://processing.org/
> [2] http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/course/15-100mooseNsquirrel/

Ben Fry just gave a talk here at NEU on Processing.  It started off very
much like our intro course starts off on day 1 by programming with
images in DrScheme, but rapidly went far beyond that while using 1-3
line programs.  It was too bad the PLT group was under represented, but
there should be video of the event up soon on our student ACM chapter
web page.

If PLT could keep pace with Fry's first 10 minutes or so of examples, it
would be quite appealing to students, in my opinion.  Of course, all his
stuff is imperative.  If we had all the polished bells and whistles of
Processing *and* the usual gang of functional abstractions, our freshmen
could probably code circles around Fry.

David

http://acm.ccs.neu.edu/

Posted on the users mailing list.