[plt-scheme] Re: how to specify the language "PLAI Scheme" in PLT Scheme in Emacs

From: Benjamin L.Russell (DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 4 05:36:33 EST 2009

Interestingly, I just discovered a post on a related topic by Shriram
Krishnamurthi, entitled "DrScheme: keybindings and more," dated "Fri,
7 Sep 2007 22:05:28 -0400" (see
http://groups.google.com/group/brown-cs-fall-2007-csci-1730/browse_thread/thread/63e0150d7760e60b),
in which Krishnamurthi writes as follows:

>DrScheme has several keybindings that make it easier to use.  Those of
>you who are accustomed to Emacs, in particular, will recognize (and
>want!) many of them.
>
>You can always find out what keybindings you currently have through
>the Edit | Keybindings... options.
>
>By default, most Emacs keybindings won't work because they tend to
>clash with the OS defaults (especially on Windows).  If you want most
>of the standard Emacs bindings, go to
>
>  Edit | Preferences... | Editing | General
>
>and deselect "Enable keybindings in menus".  You will now have many
>more keybindings available.

I then deselected "Enable keybindings in menus" as above, and
discovered that DrScheme now seems to have many of the standard Emacs
keybindings.  Typing "C-x Cf", for instance, opens a standard "Select
a file" dialog box.

This is good as a temporary fix.  However, Emacs is customizable in
Emacs Lisp, whereas DrScheme is not.  Therefore, if anybody knows how
to bring DrScheme language specification functionality to Emacs, any
advice (in this thread if possible) would be greatly appreciated.

-- Benjamin L. Russell

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 18:54:17 +0900, Benjamin L.Russell
<DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com> wrote:

>I am interested in working through PLAI, but using PLT Scheme in
>Emacs, instead of DrScheme.  However, I do not know how to specify the
>language "PLAI Scheme" (corresponding to the "PLAI - Advanced Student"
>language specified on p. 8 of the text) in MzScheme, as opposed to
>DrScheme.  In fact, according to the online documentation (see below),
>there does not seem to be a way.  The version of PLT Scheme that I am
>using is v4.1.4.
>
>According to the online documentation for MzScheme for the CS173
>course associated with PLAI (see "MzScheme: Legacy Module Language" at
>http://www.cs.brown.edu/courses/cs173/2008/Manual/mzscheme/index.html),
>the documentation refers to "the mzscheme language," implying that
>MzScheme is a separate language from "PLAI Scheme," and not just a
>command-line tool equipped with the same languages.
>
>Furthermore, according to the online documentation for the software
>accompanying PLAI (see the "Programming Languages: Application and
>Interpretation" section of the "PLT Scheme (installation)" manual at
>http://www.cs.brown.edu/courses/cs173/2008/Manual/manual/index.html),
>choosing the language in DrScheme is described, but choosing the
>language in MzScheme in Emacs is not.
>
>Is there any way to specify the language "PLAI Scheme" when working
>with a PLT Scheme REPL in Emacs?
>
>-- Benjamin L. Russell
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
-- Matsuo Basho^