[plt-scheme] Re: some progress in identifying cause of DrScheme file explorer intermittent freezing problem on Japanese version of Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 3

From: Benjamin L.Russell (DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jun 4 05:52:41 EDT 2009

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 04:54:50 -0400, Eli Barzilay
<eli at barzilay.org> wrote:

>[...]
>
>It would therefore be very helpful if anyone can provide some useful
>information about the source of the problem.  I remember that you've
>written detailed explanations on how to get the problem, and what
>happens, but I'm talking about something more concrete, like
>identifying the system call that causes the delay.  (I think that I
>talked about how `strace' on linux is very effective in finding out
>sources of such delays -- and I still don't know about any Windows
>utility that does the same thing.)

Actually, there is StraceNT, which actually works on Windows XP (see
http://www.intellectualheaven.com/default.asp?BH=projects&H=strace.htm).

I had already downloaded and unzipped the application some while ago,
but had not used it much yet.  If someone can tell me what to do with
it, I'll be happy to attach it to a DrScheme process on my Japanese
version of Windows XP to help diagnose this bug.

-- Benjamin L. Russell
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
-- Matsuo Basho^

Posted on the users mailing list.