[plt-scheme] dtrace like logging?

From: YC (yinso.chen at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 27 16:47:17 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 1:26 PM, Noel Welsh <noelwelsh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Generally our users are in the same time zone, so we can easily
> restart services after office hours. Other times we post notice that
> the system will be down for a bit.

I see.  I imagine if you have to deal with 5-9s SLA than a backup system
would be needed so you can take one mirror down.

I see these kind of tools as a last resort. Ideally our development
> process would catch all bugs before release,. Failing that (and it
> will fail) we'd have sufficient logging that we could replay
> interactions, and a dev. environment we could debug in, rather than
> using the live site. We aren't there yet, but it's the goal.

Agreed that such a tool is a last resort.

I don't want to debug prod env either, and the lack of a dynamic tracing
(this is not just a PLT Scheme issue, of course) means that I need to plan
ahead to address the situation when my dev process fail.

... need to think about this some more...

Thanks,
yc