[plt-scheme] Re: lispvan meetings

From: Benjamin L.Russell (DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 23 01:00:00 EST 2009

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 16:16:16 -0800, Bill Clementson
<billclem at gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Great lispvan presentation last night - thanks again Dean!
>
>After the meeting, I asked for meeting suggestions for the coming year
>and said that I would send out an email asking others for their ideas
>as well. Here were the topic suggestions that were made at last
>night's meeting:
>
>1. Lisp use in graphics applications
>2. SLIME - use and tips/tricks
>3. Clojure
>4. Lisp in AI
>5. Haskell
>
>Any other topics that people are interested in? Ideally, I would like
>both a topic suggestion and a presenter (feel free to either volunteer
>yourself or to suggest someone who you think might do a good job with
>the topic); however, if you think of a really "killer" topic but can't
>suggest a presenter, I will attempt to coerce/bribe/blackmail someone
>into doing the presentation! ;-)

How about the following topics:

1. Qi II (see http://www.lambdassociates.org/whatsnew.htm)

2. Monads in Haskell, Qi II, and O'Caml, and Possibilities for
Representation in Typed Scheme (see the following related blog entries
for reference):

     A Monad Tutorial for Ocaml | Enfranchised Mind

http://enfranchisedmind.com/blog/2007/08/06/a-monad-tutorial-for-ocaml/

     Programming Kung Fu Qi: Monads in Qi
     http://programmingkungfuqi.blogspot.com/2007/02/monads-in-qi.html

     A Cross-language Comparison of Monads in Haskell, O’Caml, and Qi
     http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/2009/01/07/27/

3.  Category Theory as a Possible Theoretical Basis for Representing
Monads in Typed Scheme (see the following possibly related blog entry
on references for a similar theoretical basis for Haskell):

     Learning Haskell through Category Theory, and Adventuring in
Category Land: Like Flatterland, Only About Categories

http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/2009/01/16/learning-haskell-through-category-theory-and-adventuring-in-category-land-like-f
latterland-only-about-categories/

4.  Refal: Recursive Functions Programming Language (see the following
related Web pages for reference:

     Refal/Supercompilation Community
     http://www.refal.net/index_e.htm

     Integrated cover for program developing [Refal-SciTE editor]
     http://www.refal.net/~belous/refsci-e.htm

5.  A Comparison of Advantages and Disadvantages in Programming with
Side Effects vs. Purely Functional Programming in Typed Scheme:

     Explicit Polymorphism, by Shriram Krishnamurthi (course notes of
2003-11-03 for cs173, 2003 at Brown University)
 http://www.cs.brown.edu/courses/cs173/2003/Textbook/2003-11-03.pdf

-- Benjamin L. Russell
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
-- Matsuo Basho^