[plt-scheme] Re: lispvan meetings

From: Benjamin L.Russell (DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 23 01:29:57 EST 2009

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 15:00:00 +0900, Benjamin L.Russell
<DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com> wrote:

>5.  A Comparison of Advantages and Disadvantages in Programming with
>Side Effects vs. Purely Functional Programming in Typed Scheme:
>
>     Explicit Polymorphism, by Shriram Krishnamurthi (course notes of
>2003-11-03 for cs173, 2003 at Brown University)
> http://www.cs.brown.edu/courses/cs173/2003/Textbook/2003-11-03.pdf

Actually, to correct myself, perhaps the above-mentioned title should
have been the following:

5.  A Comparison of Advantages and Disadvantages in Programming with
Explicity Polymorphism in Scheme

Krishnamurthi's course notes, to correct myself, do not discuss purely
functional programming; they discuss explicit polymorphism, using
static types.

However, the following blog entry does seem relevant to discussing
purely functional programming, using an example of "map" to illustrate
how mutable pairs can break a Schemer’s natural and ingrained model
of programming:

     PLT Scheme Blog: Getting rid of set-car! and set-cdr!, by Matthew
Flatt

http://blog.plt-scheme.org/2007/11/getting-rid-of-set-car-and-set-cdr.html

So perhaps I can modify points 5 and 6 as follows:

5.  A Comparison of Advantages and Disadvantages in Programming with
Explicity Polymorphism in Scheme

     Explicit Polymorphism, by Shriram Krishnamurthi (course notes of
2003-11-03 for cs173, 2003 at Brown University)
 http://www.cs.brown.edu/courses/cs173/2003/Textbook/2003-11-03.pdf

6.  A Comparison of Advantages and Disadvantages in Programming with
Side Effects vs. Purely Functional Programming in Typed Scheme:

     PLT Scheme Blog: Getting rid of set-car! and set-cdr!, by Matthew
Flatt

http://blog.plt-scheme.org/2007/11/getting-rid-of-set-car-and-set-cdr.html

-- Benjamin L. Russell
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/