[plt-scheme] Hit People Over the Head with HtDP

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Mon Jan 19 14:35:20 EST 2009

PLTers...

I think one of the first sentences people should see when they get to
the "plt-scheme.org" site is something like this, with links:

"If you are new to Scheme or to making computer programs, we recommend
__installing PLT Scheme__ and starting with __How to Design Programs
(HtDP)__."

Maybe on the home page, after a few-bulletpoint elevator speech on PLT
Scheme, as well as at the top of other pages people might jump to when
they're looking for documentation or downloads.

Maybe also add a pop-up to DrScheme that opens every time someone starts
DrScheme (until they uncheck the box on the popup), suggesting starting
with HtDP and providing a button that opens HtDP in their Web browser.

I appreciate the shelf of books on the site, but we really need a
librarian to tackle newbies and point them to the starter manual.

There will always be macho men/women who say "just show me the reference
manual; none of this sissy kindergarten stuff," but those people will
just disregard the pointer to HtDP and will have no trouble finding the
manuals they seek.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/