[plt-scheme] Hit People Over the Head with HtDP

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Mon Jan 19 14:35:20 EST 2009

I think one of the first sentences people should see when they get to
the "plt-scheme.org" site is something like this, with links:

"If you are new to Scheme or to making computer programs, we recommend
__installing PLT Scheme__ and starting with __How to Design Programs

Maybe on the home page, after a few-bulletpoint elevator speech on PLT
Scheme, as well as at the top of other pages people might jump to when
they're looking for documentation or downloads.

Maybe also add a pop-up to DrScheme that opens every time someone starts
DrScheme (until they uncheck the box on the popup), suggesting starting
with HtDP and providing a button that opens HtDP in their Web browser.

I appreciate the shelf of books on the site, but we really need a
librarian to tackle newbies and point them to the starter manual.

There will always be macho men/women who say "just show me the reference
manual; none of this sissy kindergarten stuff," but those people will
just disregard the pointer to HtDP and will have no trouble finding the
manuals they seek.

Posted on the users mailing list.