[plt-scheme] Using PLaneT Packages in a Production Environment

From: Jay McCarthy (jay.mccarthy at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 13 22:50:21 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 8:45 PM, Neil Van Dyke <neil at neilvandyke.org> wrote:
>>> One question I'm debating is whether to: (1) have "planet" "require"
>>> specs
>>> in the code and to supply those packages in vetted form to a deployed
>>> system
>>> (via, e.g., a pre-constructed ".plt-scheme/planet/" cache);
>>>

> If we do it this way, on our development workstations, can we simply make
> ".plt-scheme/planet/300/packages/" be a symlink to a directory checked out
> from out CM system, and then selectively commit some packages normally
> cached by PLaneT to CM?
>
> And if so, is there a simple and reliable way to have the corresponding
> ".plt-scheme/planet/300/<pltversion>/" directory built from
> ".plt-scheme/planet/300/packages/" all at once?

What I've done in the past is used PLaneT's development link
functionality. That way you don't have to mess around with changing
the symlinks when you have to make new versions of the packages.

> Also if so, can we set an environment variable or something to specify a
> directory other than "~/.plt-scheme"?

Yes, it is called PLTPLANETDIR.

>> You can turn off access to PLaneT by editing the config.ss file and
>> giving it bogus URLs for the lookup.
>>

> We really don't want to be changing the PLT install tree.  Any other place
> to do this?  Or do we just override DNS for that domain name or firewall the
> IP address?

They are actually parameters, so you should be able to set them in
your mzscheme startup script in ~/.plt-scheme. Look at
collects/planet/config.ss for the different options.

Jay

--
Jay McCarthy <jay at cs.byu.edu>
http://teammccarthy.org/jay