[plt-scheme] Using PLaneT Packages in a Production Environment

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Tue Jan 13 22:45:08 EST 2009

Thanks, Jay.  A few followup questions...

>> One question I'm debating is whether to: (1) have "planet" "require" specs
>> in the code and to supply those packages in vetted form to a deployed system
>> (via, e.g., a pre-constructed ".plt-scheme/planet/" cache);

If we do it this way, on our development workstations, can we simply
make ".plt-scheme/planet/300/packages/" be a symlink to a directory
checked out from out CM system, and then selectively commit some
packages normally cached by PLaneT to CM?

And if so, is there a simple and reliable way to have the corresponding
".plt-scheme/planet/300/<pltversion>/" directory built from
".plt-scheme/planet/300/packages/" all at once?

Also if so, can we set an environment variable or something to specify a
directory other than "~/.plt-scheme"?

> You can turn off access to PLaneT by editing the config.ss file and
> giving it bogus URLs for the lookup.

We really don't want to be changing the PLT install tree.  Any other
place to do this?  Or do we just override DNS for that domain name or
firewall the IP address?

Neil

Posted on the users mailing list.