[plt-scheme] on which programming languages best to spend your time?

From: Jesus Boadas (jboadas at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 26 16:57:59 EST 2009

Hello Sigrid.

I have tested a lot of languages ( a lot !!! ), Im a C/C++ programmer
and I was looking for very productive, fast, multiplatform, whith gui
library language. And settle for a while with python and ruby but they
dont have a native compiler and I dont like that, then I have tested
Haskell but I really dont like lazziness (IMHO Its more trouble than
benefits), jump to ocaml but Ocaml doesnt have a consistent
multiplatform gui library (Labltk open an ugly shell in OSX, Lablgtk
is bytecode in Windows and the Graphics library use X on osx and dont
like it), then I had tested MLTon (no gui and compilation times are
very long), SMLNY (use a VM) , Alice (Use VM) and others ML but they
dont have a really active comunity, well at this point I was tested a
lot of functional languages and dont interesting in test imperative
ones or any .NET derivates like Mono because of it syntax (imho ugly)
and read this <http://www.podval.org/~sds/ocaml-sucks.html> and this <http://www.podval.org/~sds/tool.html
 >,  and begin looking for lisp but lisp implementations are
commercials at very high prizes, the only one is SBCL but doesnt have
a gui library (gui is very important for me) then I read in somewhere
that scheme is a dialect to lisp without the bloated features of lisp
and come to Plt-Scheme that is a solid rock scheme implementation,
there are also other scheme compilers but no gui. I look at clojure
also but I really dont like JVM (sssslllloooowwww). Maybe java with
gcj make the trick but cant really found a way to native compile swt
on osx (GCJ is lack of user documentation and tutorials). If you like
JVM you can try also Scala (beauty syntax). In summary : I was looking
a multiplatform gui language for fun programming and get Plt-Scheme
the only drawback for my expectatives is that it not produce complete
native code but I can live with the JIT :-), and also like from Plt-
Scheme the following:

1- Very great comunity.
2- Write once and compile and deploy everywhere (no dependences
headaches).
3- Server and client applications.
4- Database access.
5- Elegant syntax (with a atractive weirdness of parenthesis :-).
6- Exelent gui library.
7- Network library.
8- Web server ready to use.
9- Its fun write programs in Scheme.

In the other side I tell you that I use scheme for fun but in my work
I use ruby, php and Adobe air.

Best regards

Posted on the users mailing list.