[plt-scheme] Prereqs for robotic programming

From: Marco Morazan (morazanm at gmail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 16 23:01:25 EST 2009

> It's hard to answer something like this without more context.
> Hypothetically, if the environment is well done, why should
> controlling (very simple) robots to teach basic programming be any
> different from, say, using simplified GUI libraries? Both have inputs,
> outputs, and can respond to events.

My apologies for the confusion. The goal is not to teach basic
programming. The goal is to teach robotics. I think that using robots
to teach basic programming can eventually be a great motivator, but I
have not seen a programming environment that comes remotely close to
being up to the task. Even LEGO's NXT graphical enviroment falls well
short of the mark for teaching basic programming.

Posted on the users mailing list.