[plt-scheme] HtDP in Python!

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Mon Feb 16 16:32:33 EST 2009

FWIW, a few years ago, when I was a new Architect at a company in
Cambridge, one of the engineering managers asked me if I knew any good
candidates for hiring at MIT.  (MIT spinoffs tend to have a strong
hiring bias towards MIT people, for various reasons.)  I said I'd give
it some thought, and then something like, "Actually, this might sound
weird, but a great place to look is Northeastern."  I went on to mention
to the curriculum, which I thought was in some respects even better than
MIT's, and to mention Matthias' group for poaching grad students.

I don't have a good feel for the local job market right now, much less
what it will be like in a few years, so I couldn't say much about which
strictly-vocational skills an undergrad will want to have.  But I *can*
say that starting by learning HtDP and then some real Scheme will make
you smarter than any Java-based anything that I've ever heard of.  Being
smarter has to be a good thing in a competitive and possibly chaotic job
market.

(Oh, do take as much Bio and Bio/Med-CS crossover courses as you can!)

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/