[plt-scheme] Math prerequisites for SICP

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 12 07:58:45 EST 2009

SICP assumes a substantial level of math maturity for mathematical
freshmen in the US. It also introduces you to domain knowledge from
mathematical application domains at a high pace. Learning this kind
of material is imperative, if you want to be really good especially
at constructing large, real systems in an engineering world. Learning
it is also good if you want to construct less interesting system in
the future.

Recommendation: do the math-y sections in HTDP. This will give you a
flavor of the kind of mathematics you get in SICP, even though there
are non-overlapping examples in each. I would especially focus on the
examples from calculus (numeric differentiation, integration, taylor
series etc) but the graph traversal (network flow) things are good
for you too. Once you are at east with those, you can tackle SICP and
get through fast

-- Matthias