[plt-scheme] Re: [plt-edu] Re: animation projects, video-game and not

From: Benjamin L.Russell (DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Feb 9 00:03:50 EST 2009

On Mon, 09 Feb 2009 13:49:00 +0900, Benjamin L.Russell
<DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 09 Feb 2009 13:43:23 +0900, Benjamin L.Russell
><DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 11:42:50 -0800, YC
>><yinso.chen at gmail.com> wrote:

>>>A lot of gems in the talk - I need to digest it more fully - thanks!
>>
>>Assuming the "ECOOP talk" refers to the presentation "How many
>>continuations can dance on the head of a pin" (see
>>http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/matthias/Presentations/ilc.html), I'm
>>trying to carry out the examples in the presentation, but some of them
>>refer to a "/Users/matthias/Unison/Web/HtDP/Extended/webpages.ss"
>>teachpack, without which running the examples results in a "bad syntax
>>(multiple expressions after identifier)" error.
>>
>>Is there a site from where I can install this teachpack in order to
>>run the examples?
>
>Never mind; I just found it:
>
>http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/matthias/HtDP/Extended/webpages.ss
>
>It is listed under the "Making Web Pages" section at the following
>site:
>
>Extended Exercises
>http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/matthias/HtDP/Extended/
>
>The documentation for that teachpack is also available at the
>following page:
>
>Documentation: webpages.ss
>http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/matthias/HtDP/Extended/webpages-doc.html

Perhaps it's just me, but I can't seem to run the following example on
slide 24 of the above-mentioned presentation, in the slide entitled
"Area of Circle (Console)":

(define r (read "Enter radius:" )
(print "area is %d\n"
          (* 3.14 r r))
(exit)

First, there seems to be at least one missing parenthesis, either at
the end of the first line or at the end of the last line, depending on
whether the above-mentioned code segment is regarded as a sequence of
independent instructions, or as a single procedure.

Second, even with the "webpages.ss" teachpack installed, the "read"
function does not seem to be defined.

Does anybody know how I can make this procedure work?

-- Benjamin L. Russell
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
-- Matsuo Basho^

Posted on the users mailing list.