[plt-edu] Re: [plt-scheme] behaviour of void?

From: geb a (geb_a at yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Feb 5 21:23:53 EST 2009

So what kinds of exercises are you looking for?  I guess I'm in the unique position of being able to use programming to teach Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics projects.   As a high school teacher, I feel like computer science should be about integrating these disciplines.  I think if computer science viewed itself as the means by which these other disciplines communicate, education would be more computer programming centered rather than what we currently have, where students take our courses if they have time or are hard core technogeeks.

As a result, I've centered my courses around showing students how knowing HTDP and Dr. Scheme allows them to do more computationally than the other students taking science related courses.  As a result, my courses are getting larger (my ninth grade doubled this year).   My artificial intelligence course requires one yearlong collaborative project that must meet several requirements.

1)  The project must be transformative (transforming information from one form to another) such as pictures to sound or stock market data to sound.

2)  The project must involve such large amounts of data that it requires good programming principles or the program will crash and burn.

3)  The project must use some core AI technology

4)  The project must operate without human intervention (we use scheme servers set up by the students that are dedicated to specific tasks).

The result of these projects demonstrates to students how computer programming can help them automate computational tasks that can make their lives easier in some work position.

Just my 2 cents.

Dan