[plt-scheme] behaviour of void?

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde at uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Thu Feb 5 17:51:44 EST 2009

Shriram Krishnamurthi wrote:

> It's not too hard at all.  Our courses routinely assign these kinds of
> assignments.  But we also have to train our students to understand
> modern systems.
>
> SICP was not written for an interactive (in the sense of a
> computational model) era.  The world effort is an strong attempt to
> make functional programming just as relevant to modern computation.

Now who is setting up dichotomies with loaded use of the word "modern"?

You and your co-authors, in "Structure and Interpretation of the
Computer Science Curriculum", rightly criticize SICP for requiring too
much domain knowledge. One obvious use of world.ss is in simulation of
physical phenomena -- but this requires domain knowledge in physics at
least (maybe even fluid dynamics), not to mention knowing how to deal
with computation using inexact numbers, something I would rather avoid
in first year.

There must be non-gaming uses of world.ss that use discrete mathematics
and have serious computer science content. I just have difficulty,
personally, coming up with them. --PR

Posted on the users mailing list.