[plt-scheme] Re: Poacher turned gamekeeper

From: NevilleDNZ (nevillednz at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 4 17:08:26 EST 2009

On Nov 20, 3:23 pm, wooks <woo... at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Web tutorials for it are hard to come by, and I'll need one (for me
> and the students). Is it safe to use one for ALGOL68 (assuming I can
> find one)?

Sourceforge has two implementations of Algol68 "ready to go",
they can be downloaded from http://sourceforge.net/projects/algol68/

Marcel van der Veer's Algol68g implementation is easiest to use as
it is an interpreter and simply runs straight out of the box.

There are several prebuilt installers for Algol68g at
sourceforge... Currently algol68g is prebuilt for Windows, RHEL,
CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, and Fedora.  (The source is available and
will compile for Apple's OSX, Sun's Solaris etc, and maybe even for
the iPod and iPhone too!)

Sourceforge also has an guide to Algol68g written in plain English:
* http://sourceforge.net/projects/algol68/files/algol68g/algol68g-1.18.0/a68g-doc.pdf/download

A good tutorial titled "Very Informal Introduction to ALGOL68" is
available at the start of C. H. Lindsay and S. G. van der Menlen
book "Informal Introduction to ALGOL68" (1977 revised).  I am told
the copyright is held by UNESCO/IFIP, so you should be able to get
UNESCO permission to reproduce the "Very Informal Introduction to
ALGOL68" for your class. c.f.
* http://books.google.com.au/books?q=%22Very+Informal+introduction+to+ALGOL+68%22

Finally you will need some online examples and class exercises:
* examples - http://rosettacode.org/wiki/ALGOL_68 (about 200)

Exercises:
* http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Reports:Tasks_not_implemented_in_ALGOL_68

Example of some currently unimplemented Algol68 code samples:
http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Closest_pair_problem#ALGOL_68
http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Doubly-Linked_List_(element_insertion)#ALGOL_68
http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Hamming_numbers#ALGOL_68
http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Knuth_shuffle#ALGOL_68