[plt-scheme] Tables in Scribblings

From: Doug Williams (m.douglas.williams at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 11 21:39:35 EDT 2008

I would disagree that most people are lazy readers in this case.  I
personally have skimmed the entire Scribble manual and read the @-reader
part in detail and I couldn't figure it out.  The same with tables.  It
certainly isn't obvious that the only way to actually make a table is to
literally call make-table with all of its vagaries and getting exactly the
right (listof (listof ...)) figured out without an example.  [And, the
examples we do find are often obscured behind a level of abstraction that we
in turn have to figure out.  It might be good coding, but not so good as an
example.]

I also know that things take time and I'm sure we'll have a Scribble Guide
and better examples over time.  And, I do appreciate the quick responses I
tend to get on the list.

There are many of us with PLaneT packages who are trying to catch up with
Version 4.0.  I'm pretty much there except for the documentation and it has
been rough going for complex collections.  I think the thing that would have
helped the most is for someone to show us a canonical PLaneT package, with
documentation, that you guys have looked over and said, "Yes, that's the
right way to do it."

Doug

P.S.  Please understand that all of this is indended as constructive
criticism.  We're all trying to improve the tools we have/provide.