[plt-scheme] Papers on criticism of Scheme?

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 3 08:08:16 EST 2008

On Nov 3, 2008, at 7:38 AM, Alex Shinn wrote:

> Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu> writes:
>
>> On Nov 3, 2008, at 1:59 AM, Alex Shinn wrote:
>>
>>> The most common match syntax in use is based on an old
>>> library by Andrew Wright.  There's a portable hygienic
>>> version with many extensions available at
>>>
>>>   http://synthcode.com/scheme/match.scm
>>
>> This is even older than you can possibly imagine.
>> It's based on a library that Bruce maintained from 87 or so.
>> And that is based/inspired on a macro that I wrote in Oct 1984,
>> because I was switching from Prolog to Scheme, and back then,
>> I thought I couldn't live w/o pattern matching anymore.
>
> Thanks!  It can be so hard to track down programming
> language history sometimes :)

Nah, just a tidbit.

> There wouldn't be any trace left of these early systems,
> would there?  I know OPS5 (which was even earlier, written
> in the 70S) was originally written in Lisp and had a not
> dissimilar pattern matching facility.

I used OPS5 that same year, but it left no pattern matching
expression on me whatsoever. The patterns were quite simplistic
just enough to get the rule engine firing. But that doesn't mean
it didn't exist.

BTW, I suspect that Prolog is significantly older than OPS5.

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.