[plt-scheme] Papers on criticism of Scheme?

From: Alex Shinn (alexshinn at gmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 3 07:38:11 EST 2008

Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu> writes:

> On Nov 3, 2008, at 1:59 AM, Alex Shinn wrote:
>
>> The most common match syntax in use is based on an old
>> library by Andrew Wright.  There's a portable hygienic
>> version with many extensions available at
>>
>>   http://synthcode.com/scheme/match.scm
>
> This is even older than you can possibly imagine.
> It's based on a library that Bruce maintained from 87 or so.
> And that is based/inspired on a macro that I wrote in Oct 1984,
> because I was switching from Prolog to Scheme, and back then,
> I thought I couldn't live w/o pattern matching anymore.

Thanks!  It can be so hard to track down programming
language history sometimes :)

There wouldn't be any trace left of these early systems,
would there?  I know OPS5 (which was even earlier, written
in the 70S) was originally written in Lisp and had a not
dissimilar pattern matching facility.

--
Alex