[plt-scheme] HtDP newbie question, 12.4.2

From: Cooke Kelsey (cookekelsey at yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 28 12:34:10 EDT 2008

OK, here's a simple function that adds a letter to a word:

  (define (add-first-letter first-letter word)
  (append (list first-letter) word))

(add-first-letter 'A (list 'X 'T 'E))=(list 'A 'X 'T 'E')

  So my question is, where does (list 'A 'T 'E) come from?  In your table below, you say "the recursion: "X" "TE" --> "XTE" "TXE" "TEX".  Actually I have never been able to create such a recursion.  That's the big mystery to me.

  I just read Dave Yrueta's encouraging note, and he says I need to focus on your hint about adding 'A to the list, "in the simplest and most natural way."  Well, all I can think of is to append it, like I did above.  But there is no recursive element, and I cannot call it or plug it into the main recursive function.  It is floating out in space.

Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

  Okay you have gotten to the point where you're jumping even faster. Slogan:

   furiously fast programming leads to nowhere.

  ;; ---

  All I was getting at is a simple point:

  Your recursive calls in insert-everywhere/one-word produced almost all the work in the recursion. Indeed, it always produces all but one word, except that the first letter from the original word is missing. Example:

     given:          the recursion                           in the final result I want                    plus
    'X   "ATE"     "X" "TE" --> "XTE" "TXE" "TEX"     "AXTE" "ATXE" "ATXE" "ATEX"           "XATE"

  Given the recursive result (the list of words that are too short by the first letter in the orginal word) can you design a function that adds this letter (no matter what it is) to the front of all these words you have gotten back?

  DONE?

  After that: what is missing?

  -- Matthias