[plt-scheme] collection not found error at startup

From: Ari Pollak (aripollak at gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jun 30 00:32:34 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 7:29 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> But it's not a good idea either way.  I'm assuming that you start with
> some source tarball -- so why not have the plt-scheme package and the
> mzscheme package start from the sources that we provide for both of
> these?

That would be redundant, since the plt-scheme tarball includes
mzscheme as well, so it doesn't make much sense to provide another
copy of mzscheme.

>> Except that 3m doesn't build on architectures other than i386 and
>> amd64 (and maybe powerpc),
>
> I'm not aware of any compilation problems on other platforms, so I
> find it unlikely that *no* platforms except for these two work.  If
> you look at our builds, you'll see that it works on several others
> (like an intel x86_64, and sparc-solaris), and there are also some
> architectures that we don't have a machine to run builds on but I know
> that things work fine (it even built fine on an ARM machine).

As of 371 a lot of them did not with 3m, and I haven't tried them with
372 or 4.0.
Here are the 371 build logs for the Debian architectures that failed:
http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=drscheme&ver=1%3A371-1&arch=alpha&stamp=1196186681&file=log
http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=drscheme&ver=1%3A371-1&arch=mips&stamp=1196207435&file=log
http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=drscheme&ver=1%3A371-1&arch=hppa&stamp=1199132332&file=log

I don't know of anyone using the mzscheme Debian package for a
long-running server. But since mips & mipsel aren't even building CGC
properly anymore, I'm about ready to give up and restrict the
buildable architectures even further to just the ones being tested by
you guys; certainly this should satisfy everyone except some
unfortunate soul who was actually trying to run an mzscheme server on
PA-RISC.

Posted on the users mailing list.