[plt-scheme] IE Warnings

From: Yavuz Arkun (yarkun at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 27 09:13:22 EDT 2008

OK, here is an alternative approach from the truly kludgy fringe, tested on XP:

1. Make sure Windows "file and printer sharing" is enabled.
2. Make the "doc" subfolder of the PLT install "shared" via right
click/properties/sharing. Give it the share name "doc".
3. Access the documentation by typing "\\igor\doc\index.html" in the
browser. (My host name is igor.) Everything seems to work without the
warnings, etc.

Similarly, if you copy the doc folder to a local server, you seem to
be able to access it without the restrictions applied to local files.

I think it would also work if you can add "file:/<your PLT Install
folder>/doc" to trusted zone sites under IE security settings and
uncheck the https box. I could not manage to find a way to make the
dialog accept any variant of the string though.

Unfortunately, all of these require potential changes to user's setup,
so at best they may be leads to a better solution.

BTW, I cannot follow the logic of the EI settings: does a file really
become less dangerous if it is on a remote or local server rather than
your own PC?

--Yavuz