[plt-scheme] Fonts with proper angle brackets

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Fri Jun 13 21:59:21 EDT 2008

On Jun 13, Pekka Karjalainen wrote:
> I had a little trouble getting the ⟩ and ⟨ entities to
> display in the PLT documentation. It turns out none of the default
> fonts in my Windows XP installation has them, so I had to find a
> font that does. [...]

Thanks for the link -- it has a good summary of the issue (we did have
plain `<' and  `>' at some point, but they looked very wrong).

I've searched the Unicode names list
(http://unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/NamesList.txt) for anything that
sounds vaguely relevant, and tested it in four browsers on Windows
(IE, FF, Opera, Safari) and two on Linux (Galeon, FF).  See the
results are at

It looks like 3008,3009 are good choices, but the problem is that they
render with a wide space on the left/right, and when I tried them in
the PLT docs they were big enough to look like a mistake.  I then
tried 2039,203A (angle quotation mark), and I think that they look
better, even though strictly speaking they're incorrect.

I've temporarily changed the regexp reference page

to use them, so you can see how it looks like with this choice.

Any comments?  (Specifically, does anyone see a problem with using
these two?)