[plt-scheme] proposal for indicating planet package version numbers

From: Jens Axel Soegaard (jensaxel at soegaard.net)
Date: Sun Aug 31 11:21:55 EDT 2008

Robby Findler wrote:
> PLaneT uses the version numbers in a non-trivial way to determine what
> version should match a particular require. I don't think we can just
> get rid of them (and the protocols surrounding them). You can read
> more about it in Jacob's paper:
>
> http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~jacobm/pubs/planet.pd
I read Grant's suggestion differently.

Currently there are two sets of version numbers.

   1. The PLaneT version (major + minor version)
   2. The user version

Removing the special status of the user version makes sense to me.
For the few packages that need it, the author can state it in, say,
the first line of the package description.

/Jens Axel

Posted on the users mailing list.