[plt-scheme] drscheme/mred memory use

From: Robby Findler (robby at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 22 17:04:51 EDT 2007

On 10/22/07, Robert Nikander <nikander at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I notice that DrScheme likes RAM.

Don't we all!

> Right now 'top' says it is using
> 411 MB of private resident memory.  (Not sure what the difference is
> between RPRVT and RSIZE in top.)  Is this something about the
> DrScheme in particular, or is it something caused by the MrEd GUI
> toolkit?  I ask because I'm looking at ways to write GUI apps with
> PLT, so I'm wondering if using MrEd to build a fairly complex GUI
> leads inevitably to that level of memory usage.

Matthew knows best, but I believe our best hypothesis is that the
syntax system uses lots of memory. Of course, the GUI toolkit uses
lots of big macros (units & classes) and, of course, DrScheme is
itself a big program. But yes, we are working on improving the memory
use but it is slow going.

Just to check, tho, are you using the latest version of DrScheme?
There have been substantial improvements in recent memory. I see 100
Megs of RPRVT just after starting up DrScheme, and I'll note that your
own program's memory consumption contributes to DrScheme's memory use.
You may wish to try your program in MrEd directly (if it is a module,
just do "mred -qu file.ss").

Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.