[plt-scheme] drscheme/mred memory use

From: Robert Nikander (nikander at nc.rr.com)
Date: Mon Oct 22 17:50:22 EDT 2007

On Oct 22, 2007, at 5:04 PM, Robby Findler wrote:
> Just to check, tho, are you using the latest version of DrScheme?
> There have been substantial improvements in recent memory. I see 100
> Megs of RPRVT just after starting up DrScheme, and I'll note that your
> own program's memory consumption contributes to DrScheme's memory use.
> You may wish to try your program in MrEd directly (if it is a module,
> just do "mred -qu file.ss").

I have 371.3, and upon restart it is now 110 Megs RPRVT.  I was
running programs within DrScheme, so I bet that was it.  I'll have to
watch it more closely and see when it swells to 400+.  I'd be happy
with ~150 MB considering what some other IDEs take.

I'm on Mac OS X, and I notice that some other programs seem to grow
but never shrink -- Safari for example has been running for a while,
and is now doing nothing but has 345 Megs RPRVT.  I restart it and
it's down to 20 Megs.

What happened to emacs being "eight megs and constantly swapping"?  :)

thanks,
Rob

Posted on the users mailing list.