[plt-scheme] append!?

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Mon Oct 22 12:01:40 EDT 2007

On Oct 22, Matthias Felleisen wrote:
> On Oct 22, 2007, at 11:53 AM, Eli Barzilay wrote:
> > On Oct 22, Matthias Felleisen wrote:
> >> Use C++ just enough to get closure objects and overload apply. --
> >
> > This worked better IIRC (I've seen that too some N years ago), but the
> > syntax that you get for it is still something you should not look at
> > without a barf bag nearby.
> It's the principle that matters. And my point is that there is a
> spectrum and it isn't at all clear what FP truly is. I don't think
> the CPS criteria makes a lot of sense, btw. When is it the last time
> that you CPSed an entire non-trivial program (and not for an
> exercise)?

Well, I was just commenting on the practicality of this.  But the
style point is important -- if you use a functional language that
slaps you in the face every time you create a closure, you wouldn't be
so happy about using them...  Whenever I do something in CL, I'll
write something like

  (mapcar #'

and at that point I realize that I'm going against the common CL
idioms, that some iteration (like `dolist' or even `loop') is probably
much more optimized, that I don't really need to suffer from all the
corner cases and bugs that don't bother people much since they don't
do that, etc.