[plt-scheme] PLT Scheme linux distribution

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Tue Jun 26 17:02:55 EDT 2007

On Jun 26, Keith Frost wrote:
> Currently, in order to get a working PLT scheme installation, I do
> cd plt-370/src
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/plt
> make
> sudo make install
>
> If I now copy /usr/local/plt from one RHEL3 linux box to
> /usr/local/plt on another one, everything works fine.  If, however, I
> copy to /home/foo/bar on the other box, and then try to run
> /home/foo/bar/bin/mzscheme, I get
>
> /usr/local/foo/bin/mzscheme: error while loading shared libraries:
> libmzscheme3m-370.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory
>
> Is this to be expected?

Yes.

> How hard would it be to remove absolute library paths from the
> installation, so that the executable looks up a relative (to itself)
> path to the associated library?

Don't use eth `--prefix' flag, and the result will be in the same
directory, which you will be able to move anywhere you want.
ALternatively, use `--enable-origtree', but I don't remember the
details about that one.

You can also use the installers that we make (including the nightly
build installers from pre.plt-scheme.org) -- the first question is
whether you want a unix-style installation which distributes
directories according to the FHS but has hard-wired paths; if you say
`no', then you get a single-directory installation that can be moved.