[plt-scheme] Please share your comments on the pros and cons of mzscheme + EMACS

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Thu Jun 7 23:19:34 EDT 2007

On Jun  7, Shriram Krishnamurthi wrote:
> On 6/7/07, Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Escape-control-x is for very small programs and macho, heroic
> > young programmers who have time to waste (including on IRC
> > channels). Real programmers use transparent REPLs.
> >
> > -- Matthias, whose remarks are not addressed to anyone personally
>
> But identifying Eli Barzilay nevertheless? (-:

As long as I'm dragged to this...

* I'm using Emacs, a lot, but I'm a very unadvanced user of
  running-scheme-in-Emacs...  I usually just run scripts from a shell,
  in DrScheme, or do the stupid copy-paste to a running shell.  (I
  don't even know what M-C-x is doing in whatever mode.)

* I just never got to customize things to a level that can be wired
  into my brain.  This is partly due to the problem that Matthias
  talked about: sending expressions over and over to a single process
  is a bad hack -- so I feel better feeding expressions manually, and
  restarting the process frequently.

* What I'd be willing to do, is hack something that makes it easier to
  send a file to a running DrScheme window...

* If I had some more time, I'd hack a DrScheme-like functionality for
  Emacs using the sandbox library -- something that keeps a background
  process and creates fresh evaluators like the run button.