[plt-scheme] SQLite

From: gregory.woodhouse at sbcglobal.net (gregory.woodhouse at sbcglobal.net)
Date: Wed Jan 31 15:57:25 EST 2007

I don't think that's exactly right. Mach is a microkernel based system developed at Carnegie Mellon that (to the best of my knowledge) just covers process and memory management. It's not a full OS. Steve Jobs was actually behind another product (the NeXT box) that was Mach based, though not nearly the commercial success that OS X was to become. Interestingly, I was first introduced to Scheme by a housemate who actually had a NeXT cube -- I was jealous! Anyway, to form a complete system, a layer needs to be built on top of the microkernel, and OS X uses a FreeBSD emulation layer. In other words, it isn't really FreeBSD, but rather a Mach based OS that supports an interface similar (I don't know enough to say how far the similarity goes) to FreeBSD. I don't think the decision to use Mach has anything to do with POSIX compliance, except insofar as supporting the FreeBSD layer supports POSIX compliance. POSIX is, of course, the portable operating system interface standard, and
 it really applies to all flavors of Unix/Linux (some of which are fully compliant and some of which are not).

I've actually never worked with FreeBSD itself (though I originally learned about Unix using  Version 7, followed by BSD 4.2 and 4.3). I've thought about installing FreeBSD separately (maybe under Parallels?) buty never found any compelling reason to.

===
Gregory Woodhouse

"Mathematics is the science of patterns."
--Lynn Arthur Steen, 1988