[plt-scheme] Help test the new PLaneT server!

From: Jacob Matthews (jacobm at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 2 17:16:25 EST 2007

;; ----
 THE SHORT VERSION:

Help me test the new PLaneT server, and give me feedback on the new
stuff! You can do that by:

   - going to http://coach.cs.uchicago.edu/servlets/planet/display-servlet.ss
   - configuring your planet client to pull from coach by changing the
line in collects/planet/config.ss from

(HTTP-DOWNLOAD-SERVLET-URL
"http://planet.plt-scheme.org/servlets/planet-servlet.ss")
(HTTP-DOWNLOAD-SERVLET-URL
"http://coach.cs.uchicago.edu/servlets/planet/planet-servlet.ss ")

;; ----
THE LONG VERSION:

The new PLaneT server is up for testing at
http://coach.cs.uchicago.edu/ . The differences between this server
and the one running at  planet.plt-scheme.org are vast --- among the
highlights are:

1. package uploads are now automatic - no emailing, no waiting
(currently you submit through a web page, soon through the planet
command-line tool itself)
2. source code for packages is now browsable online, thanks to code
from Jens Axel Soegaard
3. Package metadata can be edited online

and the proverbial much, much more. Before I unleash the new stuff on
the world, I'd like feedback on what you think of it, and if you find
bugs I'd certainly like to know about them as well. So, for the next
few days, if you'd like to help please visit

  http://coach.cs.uchicago.edu/servlets/planet/display-servlet.ss

and mess around, poke things, try things out. The data there is what's
on the live PLaneT server as of now (apart from a few things that
testers have already fiddled with), but feel free to mess with it,
upload stuff you wouldn't ordinarily, et cetera --- the data is not
tied to the data on the live server in any way, and I will be wiping
all the data off of coach and resetting it to the contents of the live
server again before the new system becomes the real PLaneT server. In
other words, you can't hurt anything by messing around on coach, so do
whatever you want.

You can browse and add packages through the web interface, but to
actually get your PLaneT client to pull packages from coach instead of
the live server, you need to change the line

(HTTP-DOWNLOAD-SERVLET-URL "
http://planet.plt-scheme.org/servlets/planet-servlet.ss")

in plt/collects/planet/config.ss to

(HTTP-DOWNLOAD-SERVLET-URL "
http://coach.cs.uchicago.edu/servlets/planet/planet-servlet.ss")

The client is otherwise unchanged, so this change should work on just
about any version of PLT Scheme you've got lying around.

(By the way, those of you who have already contributed packages to
PLaneT: your PLaneT username ( e.g., dherman, cce, samth) should be
tied to your email address, so you can get into your account by
following the "Forgot my password" link on the "contribute a package"
page and following the instructions to reset your password. There is
no other way to get into your account until you follow this
procedure.)

-jacob

Posted on the users mailing list.