[plt-scheme] Perplexed Programmers

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 29 11:37:33 EDT 2007

> Like you, however, I have challenged Tony Hoare in public to
> give me numbers of failures before he pushes his software
> verification agenda one more time with a silly invited talk.
> He was stunned hearing this challenge coming from me but
> not one of the 60 attendees at the Federated Logic had a
> good response and two voiced their support for my challenge
> publicly.

Moshe Vardi and I were at a talk that Robin Milner gave at Cambridge
last summer.  MV and I similarly harassed Milner on this point, with
the same outcome as you got.

I think it does our discipline no good if people cannot back up these
claims even in the face of friendly fire.  The only choice I see is to
sustain a coruscating inquiry until we can get to the bottom of the
reasons or give up on making these claims -- whichever the evidence
supports.

Shriram

Posted on the users mailing list.