[plt-scheme] Implementing web services

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Mon Aug 13 22:46:02 EDT 2007

On Aug 10, 2007, at 11:00 AM, Matthias Felleisen wrote:

> On Aug 10, 2007, at 10:49 AM, Noel Welsh wrote:
>
>> In a REST every URL (entry point / API call) is atomic -- it does one
>> thing and that action finishes as soon as the response is served
>

> It sounds like REST is an entirely functional concept, just like
> all batch programming. I doubt its investors understand this but
> one never knows. -- Matthias

Someone tell me I'm mistaken: it appears to me that REST is simply
continuation-based web programming with the additional restriction
that there be only a finite set of possible continuations; the
easiest way to achieve this is to allow only tail calls.  So in
principle, cps-ing achieves REST.  In common use, however,
maintaining a continuation as a POST-style argument is un-idiomatic,
slow, and insecure, so you need to severely restrict the possible
size of the continuation argument.

Is that a fair summary? Did I just recapitulate the slides I skimmed?

John