[plt-scheme] package documentation

From: Jacob Matthews (jacobm at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 2 20:25:31 EDT 2007

On 4/2/07, Jose A. Ortega Ruiz <jao at gnu.org> wrote:
> Hi. I'm preparing the release of a little package, mzfam, providing a
> file alteration monitor for PLT-scheme (it uses FAM/Gamin if available
> or a native scheme implementation otherwise) [0]. Actually, the only
> piece missing is some docs, and i was thinking of writing a small
> manual using tex2page: should i also provide a doc.txt file to play
> nice with help-desk/planet? And, if so, how do people usually maintain
> text and HTML docs in sync? Is there any tool you would recommend?

HTML docs are now listed as documentation on PLaneT right alongside
doc.txt files; currently only one package:

http://planet.plt-scheme.org/users/sweeney/sqlid-helper.plt/

uses this feature. The way you get this to show up is by setting the
now-misnamed "doc.txt" field in your info.ss file to point to the root
of your documentation. (This is a new behavior; prior to yesterday
doc.txt fields that weren't to files named doc.txt were ignored.) I
think that most people opt to use doc.txt files rather than HTML
documentation just because it's much easier to work with (and in
particular it's easier to generate a doc.txt file that the Help Desk
knows how to search in a reasonable way).

> On a related note, i've tried to create a user on PLaneT, but have not
> received the confirmation email after some 12 hours... is that normal?

No. Every time I've had PLaneT mail me since moving to the new server
the response has been immediate. Maybe the confirmation email got
caught up in a spam filter somewhere?

-jacob

Posted on the users mailing list.