[plt-scheme] Scheme MUD?

From: Corey Sweeney (corey.sweeney at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 21 13:52:00 EDT 2006

Hey I just looked at the MUD lists, and the screenshots of "world" (
http://world.dv8.org/ ) look pretty good.

I don't see where the code is though.  (or the server. heh)

If you find (or start) a working scheme MUD server, post it to the list. It
does sound like a good start for programming education.  (really, everyone I
know started programming intending to write a game, and then "sold out" when
someone offered them money to do something else)

Corey

On 9/21/06, Doug Orleans <dougorleans at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mark Engelberg writes:
> > The activity that has most inspired my son to program is playing on
> > MUDs.  (If you don't know what I'm talking about, see
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUD).
> >
> > Does anyone know of a MUD that uses Scheme as the programming language
> > that players use to program new rooms and interactive objects?
>
> There is a short list here:
>
> http://tunes.org/wiki/Scheme#MUDs
>
> The Museme link actually points to my old web page.  Here's the new
> address:
>
> http://steak.place.org/servlets/index.scm?d=dougo/museme
>
> The SchMUSE link is broken too.  Here's a paper, and the manual:
>
> http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/blair93mit.html
> http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~dml/schmuse-manual.ps
>
> Perhaps someone with an account on the Tunes wiki can update the
> links, or else I'll do it later.
>

> I actually attempted to do a PhD thesis about MUD programming
> languages, i.e. languages that could be used to build a
> user-extensible MUD (or more generally, a user-extensible shared
> object space, with or without the virtual-reality aspect).  I didn't
> get all that far, but I have a page of links:
>
> http://steak.place.org/dougo/mud/
>
> I haven't kept up with the field since 2001, though (and that page
> hasn't been updated since).  But it should be a good starting point
> for anyone who's interested in the subject.
>
> --dougorleans at gmail.com

((lambda (y) (y y)) (lambda (y) (y y)))